Raising Deaf Kids logo
Raising Deaf Kids: a world of information about children with hearing loss

Search RaisingDeafKids.org


Print this page with Adobe Acrobat.

Educators and Schools

Read this page to find out about the people who can help your child in school.

How to work with educators

  • You know what's best for your child.Drawing of a princess
  • Make your own decisions. Don't let teachers make them for you.
    • Some educators have strong ideas about the best way to teach deaf children. But you are the expert on your child.
  • Learn all you can about deafness.
    • Read books and articles about deafness.
    • Talk to parents of other deaf children.
    • Get in touch with organizations for people with hearing loss.
  • Know your child's rights.
    • There are laws saying that your child can go to school and get the help he needs.
    • In most cases, school and extra help are free.
  • Tell educators your child has a hearing loss.
    • Some teachers have never taught a deaf child before.
    • Tell them how they can help your child learn.

The educators you may meet
When your child goes to school, you may meet many teachers and other people. Click on the link below to read more about each one:


Early childhood special educator
An early childhood special educator is also called an early intervention specialist. This person helps families with babies who have disabilities.

What this person could do for you and your child:

  • He teaches families how to help their children grow and learn.
  • Read our early intervention page to learn more about this kind of teacher.

Back to top

Teacher of the deaf
A teacher of the deaf is trained to work with children with hearing loss:

  • Teachers of the deaf know how deafness can make learning harder.
  • Teachers of the deaf need a college degree. They should also have a certificate to teach children with hearing loss.
  • Teachers of the deaf can work in many different places:
    • People's homes or community centers. Some teachers of the deaf do early intervention.
    • Schools for the deaf. Most or all teachers in these schools are teachers of the deaf.
    • Public schools. Your child may be placed in the resource room of a public school. A resource room is a room set aside for students who are deaf or have other disabilities.
    • Several different schools. If only a few children with hearing loss live in your area, the teacher may travel from school to school. These teachers are called itinerant teachers of the deaf.
  • The teacher of the deaf works with the general education teacher. She can help that teacher make changes to the classroom for your child.
  • A teacher of the deaf also goes to your child's IEP meetings. She may help write your child's IEP.

What a teacher of the deaf may teach your child:

  • Reading and writing.
  • Listening skills.
  • Regular subjects like Science and Math.
  • Speech therapy
  • Hearing therapy

Back to top

General education teacher
General education teachers teach children regular subjects, like Math or Science.

  • They can work in private or public schools.
  • These teachers should have a college degree and a license to teach.
  • They may not have taught a child with hearing loss before.

Back to top

Special education teacher
A special education teacher works with children with disabilities.

  • They can work in both public and private schools.
  • They need at least a college degree and a license.
    • In many states, special education teachers need a master's degree in special education.
  • They teach children in a resource room.
  • They may go to your child's IEP meeting.
  • They may help write your child's IEP.

What a special education teacher may teach your child:

  • General subjects, like History and English.
  • Life skills, like crossing the street or grocery shopping.
  • Good and bad ways to act.

Back to top


School principal
A school principal runs a school.

  • They work in both private and public schools.
  • Principals need at least a master's degree.
  • They may go to IEP meetings.
  • They may help write your child's IEP.

What a principal does:

  • Set rules and standards for the schools
  • Make sure teachers and staff are doing a good job
  • Check how students are doing in class
  • Hire teachers and staff
  • Decide how how to spend money

Back to top

School district representative
A school district representative speaks for the school district. A school district is the area that a public school serves. All the children who live in the school district can go to its public school.

What a school district representative does:

  • Goes to your child's IEP meeting
  • Helps write your child's IEP

Back to top

About Us I Site Map I Search I Feedback I Privacy


National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
© 2001-2004, Deafness and Family Communication Center or its affiliates