Raising Deaf Kids logo
Raising Deaf Kids: a world of information about children with hearing loss

Search RaisingDeafKids.org


Print this page with Adobe Acrobat.

Educational Audiologists

Learn what an educational audiologist is, and how one can help your child.

Ask your school for an educational audiologist if you child needs one. Work with that person to get help for your child.

What an educational audiologist is
An educational audiologist (eh-jew-KAY-shun-al AW-dee-AW-lo-jist) is an audiologist who works in schools.

What an educational audiologist does

Makes sure your child's hearing aids/cochlear implant are working right

  • Keeps track of how your child's hearing aids are working
  • Changes the hearing aid settings to fit your child's hearing loss (if it changes)
  • Teaches you and your child how to take care of his hearing aids
  • Checks your child's cochlear implant to see if it's working

Helps make sure your child can follow what's going on in the classroom

  • Can test your child's hearing and help your child get hearing aids. (An audiologist at a hospital usually does this.)
  • Gets the right FM system and/or sound field system for your child
  • Makes sure the FM system and/or sound field system works well
  • Tells teachers what they can do to help your child follow what's going on in class

Helps your child learn to communicate by talking

  • Helps your child learn to listen and read lips
  • Sets goals for what your child should be able to do in speaking, listening and using words

Works with your child's school and other people to get help for your child

  • Refers your child to people for other help he might need.
    This could be a check-up, or help with other physical problems.
  • Helps find the best teacher and classroom for your child
  • Goes with you to your child's audiologist appointments
  • Talks with doctors and other people who take care of your child about how you're child is doing, and what other help he might need

Answers your questions about hearing loss

  • Helps you understand how hearing loss can affect your child

Ask for an educational audiologist on your IEP.
Not all schools have an educational audiologist.
So ask for one on your child's IEP.
(An IEP lists what things you want your child to be able to do that year, and what help he needs.)

Sometimes one educational audiologist helps all the children in the different schools in the area. Or sometimes, an audiologist only comes to school when a child needs help.

Know Your Rights

If your child goes to a public school, his school has to give him help with hearing aids and communication.

The law that says so is called IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act).

Ask for an educational audiologist and list what goals you want your child to reach on your child's IEP. Click here to read about the IDEA.

Ask the educational audiologist to teach people at school how to check your child's hearing aids and other assistive listening devices (ALDs).
Your child's hearing aid battery might suddenly run out in class.
Or his FM system might have a short circuit.
So what do you do if the educational audiologist isn't there?

Ask the educational audiologist to teach at least 1 or 2 other people how to check the hearing aids and FM system. This is very important, especially if your child can't tell the teacher what's wrong!
These people could be:

  • Your child's teacher
  • The school nurse
  • The speech therapist

Learn more about educational audiology at the Educational Audiology Association's website. You can find an educational audiologist near you.

About Us I Site Map I Search I Feedback I Privacy


National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
© 2001-2004, Deafness and Family Communication Center or its affiliates