Signs of Hearing Loss
Types of Hearing Loss
Causes of Hearing Loss
Genetics of Hearing Loss
Can My Child Hear?
Read this page to find out about Waardenburg Syndrome.
What Waardenburg Syndrome is
Waardenburg Syndrome (WAR-den-burg sin-DRUM) is passed on from parent to child.
Waardenburg Syndome is different for each person.
- Most children with Waardenburg Syndrome have skin, hair, and eye color that look different.
- Children with WS are often born with some hearing loss.
What Waardenburg Syndrome looks like
Children with Waardenburg Syndrome may have:
- Two different colored eyes, like one blue and one brown
- Different hair color, like a patch of white or gray hair
- Wide space between the corners of their eyes
- Low hairline
- Eyebrows that connect
- Changes in skin, like patches of very light skin
- Hearing loss or deafness
Babies born with cleft lip or palate may also have Waardenburg Syndrome.
Cleft lip and palate is a separation between the lip and mouth.
- They are more likely to have buildup of fluid in the middle ear.
- This can lead to hearing loss.
Next: Causes of Waardenburg Syndrome.